my dog ate a scrunchie

My Dog Ate A Scrunchie: When Dogs Eat Non-food Items

Oh, the curious canine adventures! Today, we’ll dive into an all-too-common, yet perplexing incident – “my dog ate a scrunchie.” Dogs, our loyal companions, can sometimes exhibit behaviors that leave us astonished. One such baffling situation arises when they find delight in consuming the most unexpected objects, like scrunchies!

Whether it’s the texture, the scent, or simply their innate curiosity, our furry friends seem drawn to these colorful hair accessories. But fear not, for in this informative piece, we will unravel the reasons behind this peculiar habit, its potential risks, and what steps you should take if your adorable furball devours a scrunchie.

So, let’s embark on this enlightening journey to understand our pets’ quirky tendencies and ensure their well-being in every playful escapade!

The Strange Things Our Dogs Eat

Dogs have a reputation for eating anything they can get their paws on. From shoes to socks, remote controls to rocks, it seems like no item is off-limits when it comes to curious canines.

As a dog owner myself, I’ve experienced my fair share of “Uh oh, what did you eat now?” moments with my furry friend. But one incident in particular had me worried – my dog had eaten a scrunchie.

The Scrunchie Incident

It all started when I noticed that my dog was pawing at her mouth and acting strangely. Upon closer inspection, I saw that she had a scrunchie tangled in her teeth.

After unsuccessfully trying to remove the scrunchie myself, I realized that she must have swallowed it whole – and that’s when the panic set in. Like any good pet parent would do, I immediately consulted Dr. Google to find out what could happen if your dog eats a non-food item like a scrunchie.

Unfortunately, the answers weren’t very reassuring. Many sources suggested that ingesting something like a scrunchie could lead to serious health problems and even require surgery.

Can Dogs Pass a Scrunchie on Their Own?

The Digestive System of Dogs and How It Works

Dogs are known for their indiscriminate appetite, often leading them to eat things that they shouldn’t. The digestive system of dogs has evolved to process meat, bones, and other animal-based proteins. This means they have a lot of hydrochloric acid in their stomachs, which helps break down these types of foods.

However, when dogs eat non-food items like scrunchies, it can cause problems in their digestive system. The digestive system of a dog starts with the mouth where saliva begins the chemical digestion process.

From there, food travels down the esophagus and into the stomach. The stomach is lined with muscles that help grind up food into smaller pieces and mix it with digestive enzymes.

Once food leaves the stomach, it enters the small intestine where nutrients are absorbed into the bloodstream. Any undigested material then moves on to the large intestine where water is absorbed before it is eliminated as waste.

The Risks Associated with Ingesting Non-Food Items Like Scrunchies

Ingesting non-food items like scrunchies can pose serious risks to a dog’s health. One main concern is intestinal blockage which can occur when an object gets stuck in the digestive tract, preventing anything from passing through. Blockages can cause vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, abdominal pain or distension and even death if left untreated.

Objects like scrunchies can also cause perforation or puncture wounds in organs leading to internal bleeding or infection. This risk increases if your dog swallows something sharp or something that gets caught on its way down their throat causing injury before reaching its destination in their stomach.

How Long It Takes for a Scrunchie to Pass Through a Dog’s System

The time it takes for a scrunchie to pass through a dog’s system varies depending on the individual dog and how much they’ve eaten. Although, it is not uncommon for dogs to pass small objects like scrunchies within 24-48 hours of ingestion.

However, where an object is too large or gets stuck in the intestines, surgical intervention may be necessary. Some objects can move through the digestive system but get lodged in other areas leading to emergency surgery to remove them.

It’s important to monitor your dog closely if you suspect they have ingested something they shouldn’t have. Be on the lookout for changes in behavior or appetite and contact your vet should you notice any of these signs.

Is Your Dog in Trouble?

Dogs are known for their curious nature, and sometimes that curiosity leads them to ingest items that they shouldn’t. As a pet owner, it’s important to be aware of the signs that your dog may be in trouble after eating something they shouldn’t have. One of the most serious issues is intestinal blockage, which can be life-threatening if not treated promptly.

Common Symptoms of Intestinal Blockage

If your dog has eaten a non-food item like a scrunchie, watch for symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea. This is because these items can cause an obstruction in your pup’s digestive tract, making it difficult or impossible for food and liquids to pass through.

Other signs of intestinal blockage include lethargy, loss of appetite, and abdominal pain. It’s important to note that not all dogs will display the same symptoms when experiencing intestinal blockage.

Some may show no signs at all until the issue becomes more serious. If you suspect your dog has ingested something they shouldn’t have, keep an eye out for any changes in their behavior or appetite.

The Importance of Monitoring Your Dog

If you know that your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t have, it’s crucial to monitor them closely. This means keeping an eye on their bowel movements and overall behavior for several days after the incident.

If you notice any unusual symptoms or changes in behavior, contact your veterinarian immediately. Remember: time is of the essence when it comes to treating intestinal blockages in dogs.

The longer you wait to seek medical attention for your pet, the higher the risk of complications arising from their condition. By being vigilant and proactive about monitoring your pup after an incident like this occurs, you can help ensure that they receive prompt treatment if needed.

Ingesting non-food items like scrunchies can be dangerous for dogs, and it’s important to be aware of the symptoms of intestinal blockage. If you suspect that your dog has ingested something they shouldn’t have, keep a close eye on them and monitor their behavior closely.

Contact your veterinarian immediately if you notice any unusual symptoms or changes in your dog’s behavior. By staying vigilant and proactive, you can help keep your furry companion safe and healthy.

What to do if your dog can’t pass the scrunchie on their own

Treatment options for intestinal blockages

If your dog is unable to pass the scrunchie on their own, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately. Intestinal blockages can be life-threatening if left untreated. Your vet will likely perform an X-ray or ultrasound to confirm the blockage and determine the best course of action.

In some cases, your vet may recommend medication to help move the scrunchie through your dog’s system. This may include laxatives or stool softeners, which can help soften the stool and make it easier for your dog to pass the object.

However, if medication isn’t effective or if the blockage is severe, surgery may be necessary. During surgery, your vet will remove the scrunchie from your dog’s intestines and repair any damage that may have been caused by its presence.

Preventing future incidents

To prevent future incidents of ingesting non-food items like a scrunchie, it’s important to keep them out of reach from your furry friend. This includes keeping items like hair ties and socks in drawers or closed cabinets where they cannot be easily accessed. Be mindful of what you leave lying around in areas where your dog spends time.

This includes things like desks and coffee tables that are at a height where they could be reached by standing on hind legs. Investing in interactive toys that encourage playtime is also a great way to redirect destructive behavior that could lead to ingestion of non-food items.

Ensure that your dog has access to plenty of exercise and mental stimulation each day as boredom can sometimes lead dogs into destructive behaviors. By taking these steps, you’ll significantly reduce the chances of another emergency trip to the veterinarian due to ingestion of non-food items like scrunchies.


After reading all the information about dogs eating non-food items, it’s clear that we should take this issue seriously. Dogs are curiomy dog ate a scrunchieus by nature, and they love to chew and swallow things that they shouldn’t. While some small objects may pass through their system without any problems, larger items like scrunchies can lead to serious health issues.

If your dog has ingested a scrunchie or any other non-food item, you should closely monitor them for signs of distress. If they start vomiting or experiencing diarrhea, it might indicate an intestinal blockage that requires immediate veterinary attention.

Do not wait for the problem to resolve itself! It’s also important to remember that prevention is key when it comes to dogs eating non-food items.

Keep anything that your dog might be tempted to eat out of their reach (including socks and underwear!). Also, make sure your dog is getting enough exercise and mental stimulation – bored dogs are more likely to engage in destructive chewing behavior.

While the thought of our beloved pets being in danger is scary, there is hope – most cases of ingesting non-food items have happy endings with proper care from a veterinarian! By taking appropriate steps now, you can ensure the health and safety of your furry friend for years to come.

Similar Posts